Aug 2, 2011

Girdafi went Scandinavia: Stockholm and Copenhagen tagged!

The last two weeks I was on a very pretty road trip up North to Denmark and Sweden: Northern Jutland, Skagen, Gothenburg, Stockholm, the archipelago, Ă–land, Copenhagen, Bon Bon Land ... Sooo much to see and sooo little time! I didn't even manage to pay a quick visit to the Little Mermaid. But I had my priorities. Namely some more Girdafi action. Of course I had to seize my summer vacation and visit two more Libyan embassies in European capitals!

Stockholm, July 26th


To be honest, I was a bit nervous about this tagging because some friends told me that graffiti is strictly illegal in Sweden and that the punishments are ridiculously hard. But as I don't cause any damage with my pieces, I took courage and did it anyway, even in the middle of the day - and I was rewarded with smiles and good smalltalk by interested passersby. Phew!



The embassy itself looked quite abandoned. No flag and the sign was removed. I wouldn't have been able to tell if I was at the right adress, if the new Libyan flag hadn't been painted on the doors. Protest by graffiti!! Finally I wasn't the first one there expressing my protest in that way. Yay!



Copenhagen, July 31st


The embassy in Copenhagen looked far more peaceful. Just like another little villa in an idyllic neighbourhood. A gardener was busy mowing the lawn. Perfect length of course. But he didn't say a word to me when I installed the Girdafi just few centimeters away from the fence. I'm not joking! It's really close this time! By far the closest tag to an embassy that I ever did. I wonder how long it will stay...



At this point also a big thank you to my Mum who joined me to the embassy and in fact knitted the Girdafi piece for Denmark. And of course to Gerhard who supports me so much and always takes photos while I'm installing. Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment